The Officer Collin Rose Memorial Foundation Scholarship
The Officer Collin Rose Memorial Foundation Scholarship honors the memory of fallen Wayne State University Police Officer Collin Rose. He was murdered while on a street investigation in Detroit in November 2016. He was pursuing a master’s degree from the university at the time of his death.
Award Amount: $1000.00. This scholarship may be renewed once for the following academic year. Student must request renewal by April 1, 2020 and show proof of continued enrollment in one of the eligibility fields of study while maintaining passing grades.
Deadline for application is April 1, 2019.
Complete applications will be reviewed by the Scholarship Awards Committee. The selected recipient will be notified via postal mail and electronic communication to confirm interest and to formally accept the award. A press release will then be issued on social media and forwarded to local news media announcing the recipient.
This scholarship is awarded for tuition and fees required for enrollment or attendance at the educational institution. It is awarded on an objective and nondiscriminatory basis under procedures approved by the Internal Revenue Service. Preference may be given to applicants who are the surviving child of a fallen public safety employee. This scholarship shall be directly distributed to the recipient's educational institution.
- Applicant shall be a U.S. citizen and a Michigan resident age 17 or older.
- Applicant shall have obtained a cumulative 2.50 Grade Point Average or higher with a demonstrated record of good attendance.
- Applicant shall be accepted and entering into a field of study at an accredited post-secondary institution or accredited basic police or fire training academy.
- Applicant shall be entering into one of the following fields of study: mediation, dispute resolution, criminal justice, law enforcement, firefighting or paramedic services.
- Applicant shall be pursuing an associate, undergraduate, graduate or post-graduate degree.
- Applicant should be familiar with the legacy of Officer Rose.
- Applicant shall submit a 500 word biographical essay detailing their achievements and career aspirations.
- Applicant shall submit their most recent school transcript.
- Applicant shall submit a portrait photograph suitable for publication.
- Applicant may also submit a letter of recommendation if desired.
- Applicant must be available for a personal interview by the Scholarship Awards Committee if so requested.